Clear the Shelter
- Date: 08/18/2017 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Location: Concho Valley PAWS
4001 Sunset Drive
San Angelo, Texas 76904
The aim is in the name. On Aug. 18-19, four local partners will work to clear San Angelo’s animal shelter of every adoptable pet. During the two days of the Clear the Shelter event, all dogs and cats will be available for $25. That includes spay/neuter, vaccines and a microchip. Organizers hope to place 200 pets in new homes.
Clear the Shelter is a nationwide event sponsored by NBC. Sponsored by KSAN, the local NBC affiliate, and Food King, in partnership with Concho Valley PAWS and the City of San Angelo, the event begins at 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18. PAWS will be adopting out dogs and cats from its storefront at Sunset Mall, 4001 Sunset Drive, until 6 p.m.
Organizers will host a much larger event from 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 19, at the shelter, 3142 U.S. Highway 67 North. In addition to $25 adoptions, Saturday will feature:
- $10 spay/neuter vouchers, made available through the City and PAWS.
- The first 100 dogs get free rabies and dog vaccinations (DAPPV) donated by Main Street Animal Clinic and the City of San Angelo. Afterward, the Main Street clinic will make $10 rabies vaccinations available.
- $13 microchipping with lifetime registration. Microchips help ensure that lost pets are returned to their homes.
- $5 engraved identification tags.
- Hot dogs, soda and music.
“Adoption events like this raise awareness of one of the solutions to San Angelo’s pet overpopulation epidemic,” said Morgan Chegwidden, the shelter’s manager. “Along with spay/neuter, adopting a shelter pet is something all families can do to save a life in exchange for years of companionship. We have pets to match every lifestyle.”
PAWS Executive Director Jenie Wilson agreed: “Everyone can do something to help and should begin by ensuring our own pets are spayed or neutered, vaccinated and chipped. There are also many opportunities to volunteer, foster, adopt, donate or advocate. It will take us all working together to create an animal-friendly community that embraces the no-kill movement.”
Supporters can underwrite adoption fees to help cover the costs of surgeries and of vaccinations at cvpaws.com/give. Donations will also be accepted at the event. Photos of the shelter’s adoptable pets are posted at petango.com/sanangeloanimalservices.