The Capital Improvement Plan, or CIP, is meant to reflect a comprehensive picture of the needs and activities throughout San Angelo's municipal government. The CIP is a planning tool and does not function as a funding source.
In 2007, the City of San Angelo prepared and adopted the first five-year CIP to better reflect a comprehensive picture of the needs and activities throughout the organization. City staff is currently preparing the 2017-22 Capital Improvement Plan. Eligible projects must have a useful life of at least three years, have a total estimated cost of more than $25,000 and require six months or more to complete. Street, water, drainage and park projects are included in the CIP, as is the renovation and expansion of City Auditorium.
The city charter requires that a five-year CIP be published and available to citizens – which it is in hard copy form at City Hall, 72 W. College Ave., and online. The charter further mandates that public input be sought to ensure it addresses citizens’ needs and wishes. Input may be offered via an online form at cosatx.us/CIPinput.
San Angeloans are invited to share their thoughts on what should be the City’s capital improvement priorities during a public forum on Tuesday, February 23 at 6 p.m. The forum will be in the City Council chambers at the McNease Convention Center, 501 Rio Concho Drive. The rebroadcast of one of those forums will be available on the City’s YouTube channel.
Once the City Council approves the plan this spring, it will be used to help shape the budget for fiscal year 2018, which begins Oct. 1, 2017. CIP projects have a wide range of funding sources, including grants, designated revenue, debt instruments, fund balances, and sales and property taxes.
Note: These are large files and may take a minute or more to load.
City Charter requirements
The City Charter requires the following regarding the Capital Improvement Plan:
SECTION 59A. CAPITAL PROGRAM:
A. Submission to City Council. The City Manager shall prepare and submit to the city council a multi-year capital program no later than five months before the final date for submission of the budget.
B. Contents. The capital program shall include:
(1) A clear general summary of its contents;
(2) Identification of the long-term goals of the community;
(3) A list of all capital improvements and other capital expenditures which are proposed to be undertaken during the fiscal years next ensuing, with appropriate supporting information as to the necessity for each;
(4) Cost estimates and recommended time schedules for each improvement or other capital expenditure;
(5) Method of financing upon which each capital expenditure is to be reliant;
(6) The estimated annual cost of operating and maintaining the facilities to be constructed or acquired;
(7) A commentary on how the plan addresses the sustainability of the community and the region of which it is a part; and
(8) Methods to measure outcomes and performance of the capital plan related to the long-term goals of the community, said methods shall be based on the best practices or methodology, including, but not limited to, methodology based upon the present value of all future cash flows of the above.
The above shall be revised and extended each year with regard to capital improvements still pending or in process of construction or acquisition.
C. Notice and Hearing. The City Council shall publish at an address or location on the internet where the citizens of San Angelo have ready access a copy of the capital program. The City Council shall also publish the time and place, not less than two weeks after such publication of the capital program, for a public hearing on the capital program.
D. Adoption. The City Council by resolution shall adopt the capital program with or without amendment after the public hearing and on or before adoption of the annual budget. This program or any portion thereof may be deleted, modified, or suspended during the course of a fiscal year by majority vote of the city council, based on events, changes in technology or other circumstances which justify such action.