The Public Art Commission acts as an advisory board to the City Council and City Manager on the selection and placement of art on city-owned or -controlled property.
Meetings are held on a called basis in the South Meeting Room of the McNease Convention Center, 501 Rio Concho Drive. Check with the Parks & Recreation Department at 325-657-4450 for upcoming meeting dates and times. Agendas are posted on this website, on the bulletin board in the lobby of City Hall, 72 W. College Ave., and at the Recreation office in Santa Fe Crossing, 702 S. Chadbourne St.
- Quang Le
- Teri Covert
- Heidi Brooks
- Cynthia Lackey
- Julie Raymond
- Lori Francks
Anyone interested in serving on the board should contact the City Clerk's office on the second floor of City Hall or call 325-657-4405 for more information. For additional board information, contact the board liaison, Parks and Recreation Director Carl White, at 325-657-4450.
Motion theme of SNAPS! photo contest
SNAPS! is open to all photographers. Entries must be on a CD in a jpeg format in high resolution (300 dpi). The CDs must be labeled with the photographer’s name and the number of works. The entry fee is $10 for two images and $5 for each additional image up to a total of five photos.
The CD, entry fee and entry form must be delivered or mailed to the City of San Angelo’s Parks and Recreation Department at 702 S. Chadbourne St., San Angelo, TX 76903. Entry forms may be picked up at the Parks and Recreation offices in Santa Fe Crossing at the same address. Office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays. Checks should be made payable to the City of San Angelo – Public Art Commission. Mailed entries must be postmarked no later than Sept. 30.
The first-place winner will receive $250, second place $150 and third place $100. Merit awards will also be presented. All accepted work will be displayed in the City Council chambers at the McNease Convention Center from Nov. 17 through May 17, 2017. All accepted photos must be framed and ready to be hung.
The seven-member volunteer Public Art Commission advises the City Council on the selection and placement of art on City-owned or -controlled property.
Public art display forms
The following forms can assist artists and collectors who wish to display works in City facilities or on City property.
- Indoor public art display application (PDF or online form)
- Indoor public art display agreement
- Outdoor public art display application (PDF or online form)
- Outdoor public art display agreement
The City of San Angelo is the benefactor of three art-related endowments managed by the San Angelo Area Foundation. For more information on these and other endowments, go to saafound.org.
- PASA Endowment Fund: PASA stands for Public Art-San Angelo. Fred Griffin created the fund to provide a funding mechanism for future public art works in San Angelo as approved by the Public Art Commission.
- Frances Mertz Memorial Sculpture Maintenance Endowment Funds: Established in memory of Frances Mertz, this fund provides maintenance dollars for San Angelo bronze public art, which Mrs. Mertz sought to create and propagate. The "200%" sheep sculpture at the Bryant Boulevard split and the "Los Dos Angelas" sculptures at the San Angelo Visitors Center are just two of the works she dreamed of realizing.
- Elmer Kelton San Angelo Parks Endowment Fund: Established from the proceeds of a special project to build a buffalo sculpture in honor of Kelton's lifetime achievements, endowment proceeds go to the City of San Angelo Parks Commission to provide financial assistance to help maintain this and other sculptures in other city parks.