Earn a $50 water bill credit

San Angelo’s Water Utilities Department is seeking homeowners to participate in a free household water-quality testing program ... and is willing to give a $50 credit on water bills for those who do.

The program will check homes’ water and plumbing for the presence of lead and copper. The state requires the testing as a public health safety measure. San Angelo has had zero violations.

The Texas Commission for Environmental Quality requires the Water Utilities Department to increase the program and number of test sites to 100 homes now that San Angelo’s population has surpassed 100,000 residents.

To participate in the program, homeowners must first verify whether their home has lead plumbing, lead-based solder or a lead service line to the City’s water main. Homes built from 1982 to 1988 are most likely to have lead in their lines.

To check for a lead service line or lead plumbing, find the water service line that enters a home from the City water main. Scratch the outside of the water line with a screwdriver, knife or other metal object. If the etch is silver-gray in color, it is likely a lead service line. If it is copper-colored, it likely does not contain lead. To determine if a home has lead plumbing lines, check the inside plumbing under a kitchen or bathroom sink the same way one would check for a lead service line.

Homeowners who confirm their home has either lead-based plumbing or a lead service line will qualify to participate in this study. Contact the Water Utilities Department at 325-481-2722 or water@cosatx.us for more information.

City Council reduces late fee charges

The City Council has approved lowering the fee for late payments for most water customers. The reduction from $25 to 15 percent of the amount due averages $20.84 for the 60,000 accounts that typically paid late in 2017.

The change will take effect June 1. Beginning on that date, water bill payments will be due 25 days after the billing date, three days earlier than current policy. The shorter payment cycle will ensure late fees appear on the bills to which they apply.

The City Council will consider final approval of the changes April 17.

The Council initiated the change at the request of customers. The change will reduce the water utility’s revenue about $250,000 per year.

Water Utilities Director Allison Strube reported to the City Council the water utility’s fund balance – unspent revenue from prior years – is projected to be $4.5 million at the end of the current fiscal year on Sept. 30. That is below the goal of $5.9 million, which represents 75 days of operating expense for the utility.

Water bill payments can be accepted:

  • Online at cosatx.us/waterbill.
  • Via an automatic monthly bank draft.
  • By calling 325-657-4323.
  • By mailing checks to P.O. Box 5820, San Angelo, TX 76902.
  • In person at 301 W. Beauregard Ave.

Current drought level

The City is in standard conservation, which restricts outside watering to no more than twice every seven days and no more than 1 inch per week. Watering is prohibited from noon-6 p.m., as is runoff of more than 150 feet down any street, gutter, alley or ditch. 

Report watering violations by clicking on this link or calling 325-657-4409. For more information, go to cosatx.us/water. Do your part; be water smart! 

Water Distribution

Water Distribution provides maintenance, preventative maintenance, construction and emergency repair to all water and sewer lines throughout the City of San Angelo.  

Helpful hints

  • Check your sewer clean-out line several times a year. If there isn't a visible sign of water, then there could be a clog further up the line.
  • Don't put grease down sinks. This can clog pipes and sewer lines.
  • Check faucets (inside and outside) for leaks. Repair any leaking faucets promptly before they become bigger leaks or cause other problems. 


How do I begin water and/or sewer service at my home or business?

Contact Water Customer Service at 325-657-4323 to set up an account.

Is it OK for me to turn the water off at the meter?

We recommend homeowners don't tamper with City water meters. If you break the meter or valve, you are responsible for the cost of the repair. We sugggest homeowners have a licensed plumber install a separate shut off valve for your use. 

Who do I contact when a fire hydrant is leaking, there is a water leak or sewer overflow in the street or alley, or water is coming from my meter?
Contact Water Distribution at 325-657-4295. Dispatchers are on call 7/24/365.

Who do I contact when I have a clogged sewer line?

Call a  plumber.The plumber will contact the City if there is a problem with the City line.